Thursday, May 25, 2006

Odyssey Putter vs Scotty Cameron Putter

I thought I'd post my two cents worth on the Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball putter and the Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 because I've played with both and they're two very popular putters. I've played longer with the Scotty Cameron Stainless than I've played with the Odyssey 2-Ball. So if you're in the market or you've been contemplating either one then I hope this review or comparison helps you out.

Now they are pretty different types of putters with the Scotty Cameron Newport being more like a blade putter and the Odyssey 2-Ball being more like a mallet putter. They both have great feel and craftsmanship with the Scotty Cameron costing about $100 more retail than the Odyssey. The Scott Cameron Newport is the current putter that I play with and actually prefer over the Odyssey 2-Ball. I've cut both putters down to 33" to fit my stroke. I've added lead tape to the shaft underneath the grip on the Scotty Cameron to provide a little counter-balance weighting and also to fill out the grip.

The Scott Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 in my opinion has a great feel when struck with a Titleist Pro V1 or comparable golf ball. I've read a few reviews where the golfer said they didn't like the feel, but I have to wonder what kind of ball they were playing with. While you may think it shouldn't matter which ball you play... it actually does and you should test drive both putters with the brand of golf ball you usually play so you do know what both feel like. The Stainless Newport 2.5 has a lighter putter head than the Odyssey 2-Ball, but with the added weight I putt on the Scotty Cameron putter it allows me to make a really even and fluid stroke. I feel like I'm better able to take the putter straight back and straight through in one piece with the added weight.

The Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball is a mallet type of putter, which I've never been really fond of until I tried this one. The weight of the head made it easy to stroke through the ball and get a good roll on the ball. It took some getting use to because I had never played with a mallet type putter, but I managed to put fairly well with it. The 2-ball alignment really does help with your alignment, and if you're struggling with your alignment then the Odyssey 2-Ball may be the putter for you

As I stated earlier I choose the Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 over the Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball putter. They're both quality putters, but I like the overall feel and appearance of the Scotty Cameron putter. I feel that you can't go wrong with either putter and it's really a matter of taste. You can get both of these at a really reduced price on eBay, which is where I got my Scotty Cameron in excellent condition. If you're interested in some feedback on the Odyssey Tri-Ball putter then see my previous post Callaway Odyssey White Steel Tri-Ball SRT.

Tag(s): , , , ,

4 comments:

woundedduck said...

I played with a Never Compromise (similar in shape to the Scotty Cameron) and then switched to a Bettinardi Baby Ben, a mallet. I prefer the Ben, hands-down. I'm not sure of the physics behind it--might be all that weight extended several inches from the putter face--but this club hits dead-straight puts. It doesn't have as much feel as the NC, but IMHO, feel is grossly over-rated.

Anonymous said...

I'm currently playing with a Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.0 and it's been good to me. I've had my eye on the new Yes putters and may give it try.

Florida Golf Schools

Anonymous said...

Hi Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?

Don Smith said...

You can use some of the post content as long as you link back to my blog