Thursday, May 11, 2006

My Double Eagle (Or Albatross)

Have you every had a double eagle while playing golf? Have you ever witnessed a double eagle?

About 5 years ago I was playing in a 2-man scramble tournament with a buddy of mine at Los Coyotes Country Club in Buena Park, CA. We came up to a short par 4 of about 330-yards with an elevated tee. I let my partner hit first to see if I should give it a go and sure enough he hit it in the middle of the fairway.

The wind was playing slightly from right to left and I play a natural draw so I had start the ball about 10-yards right of the green. I took back the club nice and slow and put a perfect swing on the ball. It took off exactly where I was aiming and with the wind and slight draw I had on the ball it started taking shape to be right on target. It seemed like the ball hung up in the air forever. As it was getting closer to the green I could tell it was going to be close... really close.

It landed and practically stuck right in the green and started rolling towards the hole. I felt like my heart was going to pound out my chest. The ball reached the hole and then it lipped out a few inches away. I couldn't believe it lipped out... I thought I had pulled off the impossible. I had mixed emotions about the shot because on one hand I was millimeters from pulling off the ultimate shot in golf and on the other hand I had a tap in eagle putt.

We didn't win the tournament that day, but that one shot I still vividly remember as if it happened yesterday... and the only thing I remember from that day.

I know the post says "My Double Eagle", but this is as close to one that I've come so I consider it "My Double Eagle".

Do you have any double eagle or almost double eagle stories to share?
Tags: ,

No comments: