Thursday, May 04, 2006

Duck, A Whirling 5-Iron

Have you ever been on the golf course or range and have the head of your golf club fly off?

It has happened to me several times and it's a very strange feeling. I remember the first time was when I was playing a match in high school. I was playing on the par 3 eight hole at Seacliff Country Club in Huntington Beach, CA. I hit a pure 5-iron, but on the follow-through the head flew off and started to chase the ball. The head went about 50-yards, but the ball landed on the green about 20 feet from the pin.

Everyone in the group for a moment was startled because as the head was flying it was making a weird whirling sound. I think at first they didn't know what it was, but as soon as they did they started to laugh. I had to laugh with them because there was really nothing I could do about it.

I ended up birding the hole and winning my match that day.

Has this every happened to you?
Tags: ,

No comments: