Friday, May 12, 2006

When A Birdie Is An Eagle

About 10 years ago I was playing in a 2-man scramble tournament with my brother in Palm Springs, CA. I believe it was the first annual Knoll Ball Charity Golf Tournament for the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Orange County, Southern California.

It was a shot-gun start and me and my brother started off on the 10th hole. We made par on the first hole and the second hole was a 390 yard par 4 . I looked at the card and then I looked down the fairway and it looked longer than what the card said it was. I got up there and ripped a drive down the middle.

We decided to use my ball and when we got up to it I still had about 220 yards to the green. I couldn't believe I was still this far out because I typically hit my drives between 270 and 300 yards. I thought the air in the desert was light and supposed to make the ball travel farther.


Anyway I pulled out my 5-wood and hit it perfect. It had the flag stick covered and I knew it was going to be close for a birdie. Sure enough when we got up there I was about 10 feet away. I let my brother go first to get the line of the putt. I stepped up and drained it.

We walked back to the cart and I started to write down the score and realized that we had been writing down the scores on the front nine. I turned the card over and looked at the 11th hole and it was a 510 yard par 5... and I realized that I just eagled that last hole with all 3 of my own shots.

We went on to win the tournament that day and came away with some nice golf equipment for the win.

Has this ever happened to you?
Tag: ,

No comments: