Sunday, June 11, 2006

New Golf Clubs or Used Golf Clubs?

I have a lot of golfers ask me if they should get new golf clubs or used ones and the answer is... it depends. There are several factors you should consider when deciding whether or not you should get new golf clubs or used golf clubs.

Get used golf clubs if...
1. you're new to golf and want to see if you're going to like golf. No reason to plunk down a bunch of money for something you may not like doing.

2. you want a name brand set, but you don't have the money to get new ones. This is really common sense because you don't want to be eating Top Raman for the next 3 months because you had to get a $1000 set of irons.

3. you can get a good deal on a used set. Golf clubs are kind of like cars in that once hit them they depreciate quite a bit.

Get new golf clubs if...
1. you're more serious about playing golf. When you're golf game gets to a certain point then the clubs can make a 1 or 2 stroke difference, but if you're still relatively new to the game then getting expensive clubs will not make you better.

2. you can afford them. If you have the money then by all means get them, but remember what I said in #1 above.

3. you're one of those people who don't like hand-me-downs ;-) Some people just don't like getting used things.

I've been playing golf for 30+ years and I've bought both new golf clubs and used golf clubs. I'd have to say it's about 50-50 of new to used golf sets. I bought my current TaylorMade R7 TP Quad driver used from Golfsmith and got an excellent deal on it. I was fortunate to find one with the specs I needed. My previous 2 drivers I got off of eBay. So you can see that it does really depend and you can't go wrong with new golf clubs or used ones.

One caution you should be aware when purchasing new golf clubs used ones. I highly recommend you get the clubs fitted to your swing.

For used golf clubs you're buying a set that more than likely isn't fitted for your swing and this could make the difference in a couple strokes in your golf game. Try getting fitted at Roger Dunn's for a set, but don't actually by them because you just want to get the specs of your swing like lie, shaft stiffness, shaft length, etc... You can then use your golf swing specs to find a used golf set that's right for you.

With the a new set of golf clubs I'd do the same thing, but this time you have the sales guy custom order the clubs based on your specs. If you're really serious then I'd go to an independent golf swing analysis shop like
Maxout Golf or TaylorMade MATT. Both of these places will dial your swing in and provide you with all the specs you need.

Where to get used golf clubs? Go to Golfsmith, Roger Dunn's, Nevada Bob's, eBay, or any large golf shop. Also, ask around in your circle of friends if they have a set of golf clubs they'd like to get ride of.
Tags: , , ,

No comments: