Monday, June 05, 2006

Chipping With A 5-Iron

When it comes to chipping the golf ball on to the green I encourage golfers to not limit themselves to using just a sand wedge or lob wedge.

The obvious purpose of chipping is to get the ball as close to the hole as possible... or in the hole if your lucky. So why do so many golfers limit themselves to just a few clubs in their bag to chip with?

I personally will use any golf club in my bag to chip with, but the circumstances dictate which golf club to use. The majority of the time I want to get the golf ball on to the green as soon as possible and have it run out to the whole. The reason why I want to do this is to get the ball rolling like a putt. I feel like I have more control and accuracy of the golf ball when I do this.

There have been chip shots that I've used a 5-iron because of the distance I was from the hole when just off the green. I've used pretty much every club in my bag except for my driver to chip with. There are times when you need to be creative about a chip shot.

The next time your confronted with a chip shot use a club that will get the ball on to the green and rolling as soon as possible. Please practice with the different golf clubs around the practice green before you try it on the course because you first need to understand how much each club will make the ball run.
Tags: , ,

No comments: