Monday, April 03, 2006

Are You A Golf Equipment Junky?

You're probably wondering what a Golf Equipment Junky is. Well if you think about it for a minute you can probably guess. It's someone who has to have the latest and greatest golf equipment no matter how long they've had their current equipment. They could even be playing good golf with the golf equipment they have, but if something new comes out then they have to have it. They feel if they don't get the latest golf equipment they'll be missing out. They think they can buy their golf swing through new equipment.

I have a golf buddy who is a golf equipment junky in the truest sense. I think the the people at Roger Dunn's Golf Store in Santa Ana, CA know him by his first name. I bet when he walks in the door they all say "Gary" kind of like they used to say "Norm" on the TV show Cheers whenever Norm walked into the bar.

Gary has had more sets of golf irons and drivers in the last 18 months then I've had in the last 15 years. I lost count of all the latest and greatest Callaway X series irons he's had over the years. He's had over 20 different drivers in the last 5 years. Here's a current day example. The Cleveland Hibore has come out and Gary wants to get it, but since he's left handed he won't be able to get it until June because Cleveland won't have it until then. Gary was bummed and decided to get and play with the Taylormade r7 425 until June when the Hibore is available for lefties. What's even crazier is that he currently has the Taylormade r7 Quad from last year.


Gary is about a 10-12 handicap golfer, but I feel he could be in the single digits if he would stick with his golf equipment for longer than 1 to 6 months. Do I think he'll ever change even though I give him a hard time for trying to buy his golf swing? No I don't because I think it's a personality trait that some people have that may be considered a little Obsessive Compulsive (OCD).

Do you know of anyone who's a Golf Equipment Junky? I'd like to hear about it.

No comments: