Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A Great Golf Course

Last week I spent a few days at the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa (Ojai, California), which is home to the Ojai Country Club. This golf course was designed in 1923 and in my opinion it's one of the best golf courses I've seen. The golf course is manicured beyond anything I've seen accept on the PGA tour. When looking down the fairways you see the crisscross cut grass in the fairway, which is distinctly defined by the first and second cut of rough. The tee boxes are as nice as some of the greens I've putted on at other golf courses.

It was designed and built in 1923 under the direction of George C. Thomas, Jr. and Billy Bell and the course was hailed as "a marvel of golfing architecture." Thomas also designed courses at the Riviera, Bel-Air and Los Angeles country clubs. The golf course has been host to 7 Senior PGA Tour events as well as two EMC2 Golf Skills Challenges, as seen on NBC.

The golf course is extremely mature with it's massive trees lining the fairways and rolling hills. While the course isn't very long from the blues at about 6300 yards, it is a good test of golf at Par 70 with 6 par 4's over 400 yards and 3 par 3's over 200 yards.

The resort is also impeccable with the staff treating you like royalty. This is high on my list of places to go back to next summer during my golf vacation. I just might have to make it a regular golf vacation.

I highly recommend this this resort and golf course to any golfer who wants to experience a world class golf course. If you've played this golf course I'd really like to hear your opinion.

Tag(s): , , ,

No comments: