Friday, July 14, 2006

Golf And The Single Dad

I know there are a lot of us full-time single dads that love to play golf, but have difficulty finding time to just hit golf balls at the range let alone playing a round of golf. Trying to create a balance between your kids time and your own time to do things like play golf.

I spend the better part of my day at work and occasionally I'll sneak away to hit golf balls at the range during lunch, but those days are rare. Getting away after work for 9-holes is difficult too because of soccer practice. Trying to play a round of golf on the weekend is pretty much out of the question because of my son's soccer games.

I remember the days when I was single and answered to just myself and I played a round of golf and both Saturday and Sunday... and went to the golf range 3 nights a week with an occasional 9-holes after work. Those days seem like a lifetime ago.

I tried early on with my son to get him interested in playing golf when he was about 5 to see if we could play together when he got older. I would take him to the golf range and he would get tired after about 20 minutes of hitting and wanted to go home. Well now he's 13 and loves to play golf. Its summer and he plays golf with his friends since he has no school so I feel like I can't win. I did manage to get a tee time for the two of us to play golf on Father's Day and that was great.

I now have one of those golf nets set up in the backyard so we can practice hitting golf balls together any time we want. Golf is a great game because I know me and my son will be able to play together for many years to come. On the golf course with my son is special now when he's 13 and it will be just as special when he's 40.

Golf is one of those games, sports, hobbies that can be enjoyed for a lifetime. I know I've been fortunate to be playing golf for 30+ years since I was 11... and I have at least another 30 years of golf left in me.

As a single dad golfer how do you make time for your golf game?

Tags: , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great golf article. I can totally relate trying to play golf when you're a single dad. Golf is so time consuming that it's difficult to find time to squeeze in a round.

Dave Pelz Scoring Game Golf School