Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Would The Real Scotty Cameron Please Stand Up?

Do you think I really know Scotty Cameron? You know the guy who makes the golf worlds most recognized putters by Titleist? I didn't even know this until 20+ years out of high school while playing on the golf team

I played varsity high school golf at Edison High School in Huntington Beach from 1979-81. My first year at Edison as a sophomore on the golf team was a little tough because I had just transferred from Marina High School, which was a rival school. Our home golf course was Seacliff Country Club in Huntington Beach where we got to hit all the range balls we wanted and play all the golf we wanted after 1:00pm without paying a dime. Now that was really nice!

We had a pretty good team my sophomore year with guys like Markel Taylor, Scotty Cameron, and others being the strength of the team. Scotty was a senior at the time and he had a good swing and scored well. He also used to do a lot of work with clubs and putters in his dad's golf shop. I only got to know Scotty a little bit because he was a senior and I was a sophomore. Jeff Frederick was another guy on the team who was also a sophomore and he was closer to Scotty because his brother was also a senior on the team. Jeff and I played together on the golf team throughout high school and a few times after that.

Well they went on to graduate and I didn't hear anything about Scotty Cameron other than he started to work more with his dad in his golf shop. The years went by and I went to college. It was probably around 1998 when I ran into Jeff Frederick and we got to talking. He asked me if I knew about Scotty and I said no I hadn't heard anything. Jeff then said he's doing great. He's making putters and living in a really nice house Carlsbad, CA... and that's when it clicked. After all of these years I hadn't put 2 and 2 together.

You see I knew Scotty's last name was Cameron, but I didn't think it was the same Scotty Cameron who was making a name in the golf world and on the PGA Tour for his putters. Well it's not hard to see that Scotty is doing very well for himself. If you know anything about golf you know that the Scotty Cameron putter brand is probably the most well known in the golf world. I've had 3 of his putters over the years and I currently have the Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 and love it.


Way to go Mr. Cameron!!

No comments: