Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Golf Common Sense. Do You Have It?

One of the biggest mistakes amateur golfers make these days is attempting to hit a low percentage golf shot. They'll pull out their 3-wood and attempt to hit it 220-yards over water and say, "I can't believe it didn't carry the water."

As a golfer, amateur or professional, you want to play golf to your strengths. You want to play the golf shot that you can hit over and over with a high percentage of success. If there's a bunker that cuts into the right side of the fairway 240-yards off the tee and you typically drive the ball 250-yards then you should lay up with your 210-220 yard club to take the trap out of play. Why take the chance of putting your tee shot into the bunker?

It really boils down to golfing with common sense. Forget the golf shots you've seen the pros make on TV because you're not a PGA Tour professional. Bring yourself back to reality and play the golf shot you know you can hit.

With a little golf common sense and course management, I guarantee you'll drop a few strokes from your next round of golf.

Tags: , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very will put. I didn't really learn this about golf until I was in my 30's. I used to play golf with the grip-it and rip-it mentality. While I could drive the ball a ton the majority of the time I found myself in trouble... not paying attention to the trouble in front of me like a narrow fairway, bunkers off the tee, etc...

I think of more golfers would use a little common sense they'd be able to cut a lot of strokes of their golf scores.

Florida Golf Schools